FBW002392 Short documentary
Country / Year
Poland / USA, 1938
Training for Life / Work for Centos
[?]; for CENTOS (Centrala Opieki nad Sierotami) (=Organisation for Child and Orphan Care), Warschau / American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, Inc. (JDC), New York, NY
Producer: M. Unger (Arranged by);
Camera: Wladyslaw Forbert;
Music: David Beigelman
1. In jidd. Sprache.
- Tonsystem: British Acoustic Recording System
- Kopierwerk: Sektor
Film on JDC-supported child care program of CENTOS (Centrala Opieki nad Sierotami) (=Organisation for Child and Orphan Care) in Poland immediately prior to the German invasion. Film shows care for children, including nurseries and day colonies. About half of the film is devoted to the vocational training programs for polish children. Particulary poignant because of the fate to which Poland's Jewish community was subjected shortly after this film was completed.
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee;
- Steven Spielberg Jewish Film Archive, Jerusalem; 35mm; engl. Untertitel
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), New York, NY; Korrespondenz
- Hoberman, J.: Bridge of Light. Yiddish Film Between Two Worlds. New York, NY: Schocken, 1991
Engl. Untertitel, Grafiken:
- "Centos" was formed in 1924, and grouped together under one head
- all the organizations taking care of Jewish orphans and abandoned children in Poland.
- BRZESC n/B
- From the very first these infants find real motherly care in the "centos" nurseries
- "Independence from the beginning" is Centos' guiding principle
- The children are brought up to be useful members of society.
- NOWY - SACZ
- As soon as the child is able to more it will long long to play and Centos takes care of this
- In day-colonies and on special "Centos" playgrounds, thousands
- of children are deriving benefit from play
- KOLO WARSZAWY / 1924 - 130 / 1931 - 2250 / 1938 - 15588
- Children who are not endowed with perfect health are given medical
- attention in Centos health colonies
- CIECHOCINEK / 1924 - 4335 / 1931 - 4538 / 1938 - 7456
- The healthy and the cured children must be guided further until they become independent.
- In the Centos vocational guidance bureaus, the child's likes and natural abilities are carefully investigated. / 1931 - 78 / 1938 - 1691
- How long will it take Abe to set up all the washers? Will Rachel catch on to Baley's apparatus quickly?
- If so, she will learn dressmaking in a Centos trade-school.
- Centos teaches the children 55 trades
- OTWOCK KOLO WARSZAWY
- 1924 - 4671 / 1931 - 5032 / 1938 - 9537
- The children work in their own brick factory. Making bricks can be
- thought of as a symbol of the structure of human character
- CZYZKÓW-GAJE KOLO LWOWA
- Those who want to become farmers are trained on Centos farms
- Weary with toil, the day ends with a feeling of sureness and a fulfilled sense of living
- The road into life is open!
Lt. Filmkopie: Steven Spielberg Jewish Film Archive, Jerusalem
- 1. The Organization for / Child and Orphan / Care in Poland, "CENTOS" / affiliated with the / American Joint Distribution / Committee / presents:
- 2. TRAINING FOR LIFE
- 3. Arranged by: M. UNGER / Directed by: L. JEANNOT / Photography by: W. FORBERT / Music: D. BEIGELMAN / British Acoustic Recording System / Laboratory: Sektor
- 1. THE END
- 2. Property of the Organization for / Child and Orphan care in Poland / CENTOS / affiliated with the American Joint / Distribution Committee
Abschrift lt. Filmkopie: Steven Spielberg Jewish Film Archive, Jerusalem